Development of AgroAmerica Influence Communities
There has always been a strong commitment to support the development of AgroAmerica influence communities. An important part of the work carried out by the company, as well as its sustainability strategies are focused on this objective.
Influence Communities of AgroAmerica
AgroAmerica operates in rural areas of Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru; countries where the company has influence in 44 communities due to the proximity they have to its operations, besides being where most of its employees come from.
How does AgroAmerica support influence communities?
The way in which AgroAmerica cares for and ensures a decent standard of living for its employees, and therefore for their families and communities, is through actions such as granting them a living wage that is 77% above the minimum wage stipulated by law and 82% higher than the GDP per capita.
AgroAmerica provides development and improves the quality of life
AgroAmerica collaborates with authorities, communities, civil society and the private sector to contribute to the sustainable development of the communities where it operates and, therefore, help to improve their living conditions. It does this by focusing on its employees, with the aim of providing them with the means to achieve integral development.
Social Development Policy
Beyond being a world-class agro-industrial company dedicated to the production of food and ingredients of the highest quality, AgroAmerica differentiates itself by implementing a business model based on a Corporate Sustainability strategy; which promotes responsible production towards its employees, nearby communities and the environment. This business model is focused on generating value and balance between economic growth, conservation of natural resources and the well-being of its stakeholders.
Aspects that improve the quality of life of communities
Through its Social Policy, the company states its commitment to be a development agent, seeking to improve people’s living conditions in aspects such as:
- Decent Employment
Management Community Projects
To make an impact on those aspects, AgroAmerica works in four areas that contribute to the development of communities. Therefore, 38 community management projects were carried out in Guatemala, Ecuador and Peru during 2020.
Most of the projects were focused on:
- Road maintenance
- Donation of construction materials for road maintenance
- Repair of community access roads, due to the tropical storms that affected Central America
- Riverbank reinforcement to prevent flooding
- Donations of supplies to prevent COVID-19, which included face masks, bleach, hand sanitizer, thermometers and clear glasses to communities and health stations, as well as governmental and non-governmental institutions.
- Coordination of preventive health care activities for 126 children and adults.
- Donation of 37,000 trees to reforest riverbanks
- Support to train community leaders to form Local Coordinators for Disaster
- Forest nurseries
- Support in the collection of solid waste from rivers
- Training in natural disaster prevention
- Training on entrepreneurship programs for women
- AgroAmerica School for workers’s children
- Training for stakeholders on preventive health topics and company practices
Through different actions, AgroAmerica contributes to create an environment where communities can develop their full potential and lead healthy, productive and creative lives. AgroAmerica’s commitment is to do responsible business by producing food and ingredients in a sustainable way.